Monday, January 31, 2011

My first post Mod 2

Since I had never used blogs at all let alone in my classroom, I was really interested to get ideas of how they could be used most effectively. The first thing I really liked about the concept of blogs discussed in the text was the concept of collaboration and discussion through comments. When teaching a foreign language, it's important to have communication and to have a community. The first way I thought I could use this in my classroom is to have a class blog where each student creates a post a week about what they have learned and we could could have students in another German class in the district or area or a class in Germany comment on it. We could also then comment on that other classes blog creating a learning community. This activity would accomplish the Communication, Cultures and Communities standards in the ACTFL standards. For the Technology Standards for Language Teachers goals it would reach goals 1, 2, 3 and 4. Another activity that was given as an example in the book that could be used with blogging would be where students have their own blogs and they could use them as a portfolio of the best pieces of work. Other students could then go through and correct their peers pieces or give them feedback in the forms of comments. This meets the Communication standard of the ACTFL standards and goals 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the Technology Standards for Language Teachers. Another way of using blogging is having students for every month find a holiday in a country where the target language is spoken and a holiday in their home country and give links in their blog to that information while comparing and contrasting the holidays. Then students from said country (if an exchange program was set up for example) could give their thoughts in the comment section. This would meet the Cultures, Communication and Comparison standards in the ACTFL standards. For the Technology Standards for Language Teachers it would reach goals 1, 2 and 4. Another thing that I liked about using blogs that wouldn't necessarily relate to the standards was the concept of how it can help organize both myself and my students. I teach middle school so students are rarely if ever organized. But if I had all of the assignments and the due dates listed on a blog where students to could refer if they forgot to write down the homework, things would probably work a lot smoother. Also I could incorporate classroom news or put information on about the German club  or foreign language club activities coming up. I could even give the job of "editor" to students. This is really something that I am going to look into. The only thing that I am worried about is the lack of technological resources that my students have. It would be hard to move the assignments to the web since quite a few of my students do not have access to a computer at home and are often stuck watching their siblings and can't get to the library.

5 comments:

Kristin Cash said...

It's funny that you mentioned organization for your students in this post. When I was in high school, I did a lot of creative writing, and I kept all of it on a private blog. It was great to have all of my work organized by date, accessible anywhere, and saved somewhere that I couldn't lose it (even on your own computer, things can get lost...). So, I absolutely identify with your point that blogs can be an incredible organizational tool.

I also enjoy that, like our textbook's author, you see "creating community" as creating community not just within the classroom, but outside of it as well. You mention sharing ideas with other classes in the district...this would certainly give students a chance to see what happens behind the walls of all the buildings they've never been in themselves.

Lindsay said...

i'm glad that you talked about the lack of access to technology for our students. I'm a little worried about this too. I will be teaching ESL kids, and my assumption is that a lot of them will be economically disadvantaged. These aren't the types who will have FIOS at home, or maybe even a computer at home. I would have to rely on computer time at school to ensure that they had access to the blogs. I still think that this would be manageable. It just may hamper how much we will be able to practically implement blogs.

Kyung Sun said...

That's really a great idea to form a community through blogs and share comments with one another. Through this work, students can get a chance to expand their knowledge and understanding. And I do not think about the possibility that there can be some students who do not have computer access at home. Thank you for mention about this.

Maryanne said...

Robyn,

You have pointed out several good ways to use blogs with your German classes.

Regarding lack of connectivity, here are two thoughts. If your school has a computer lab that is available for students during their study halls, they could use that. Another thought is to have them go to the local library, perhaps on weekends. If you are able to use either of these ideas, you would also have to give assignments that are a little long term in order to give students time to find the opportunity to connect.

Another thought is that as more and more families begin to connect through their phones, that will be another way for students to access online material. Overtime, connectivity through phones should become less expensive. Let's hope it's soon!

Casey said...

I really like how you incorporated the students into the making of the blog. Giving the students a more interactive position in creating and maintaining the blog is a great way to keep them motivated and interested. Giving the students a more interactive perspective on learning, they can see what are behind the learning principals that they are being taught. Having the students work together, will also bring about more a more meaningful atmosphere which students flourish in.

I thought that your blog is very innovative and brought up a lot of new points that thus far have not been mentioned. Great Job!